Sackville, NB, Canada -- As the season of summertime festivals closed, the Downeast Bluegrass & Oldtime Music Society was pleased to present the 29th Annual Eastern Canada Bluegrass Music Awards on October 19th, 2013 in Truro, NS. Bluegrass bands Bluegrass Tradition and Shadow River both were honored with multiple awards as was promoter Wayne Dugas.
Jeffrey McRae, President, The Downeast Bluegrass & Oldtime Music Society said, "On behalf of the Board of Directors and the Society members, I would like to extend my sincere congratulations to each of this year's performers for providing outstanding entertainment throughout the evening. My thanks to the sponsors and the fans for their continuing support of the ECBMAs and the promotion of bluegrass music. I would like to recognise the evening's emcees Brian Hazlett and Jerry Murphy, the stage manager Mike Laycock and all of the excellent volunteers - we could not continue this endeavour without you. The evening's sound was provided by Griffin's Audio Services who, as in the past, expertly delivered the show to the audience. I'm looking forward to the next year already!"
It is our pleasure to present the winners of the 29th Annual Eastern Canada Bluegrass Music Awards:
- Banjo Player of the Year - Darren Richard (Bluegrass Tradition),
Sponsored by the Stewiacke River Bluegrass Festivals.
- Bass Player of the Year - Brian Hazlett (Shadow River),
Sponsored by the PEI Bluegrass & Oldtime Music Society.
- Dobro Player of the Year - George Grant,
Sponsored by the Fox Mountain Bluegrass Festival.
- Fiddle Player of the Year - Lukas Munroe (Blue Tie Affair),
Sponsored by The Spring Tune-Up.
- Guitar Player of the Year - Jeff Nauss (Eight Wheel Drive),
Sponsored by Mingo's Music Store.
- Vocal Group of the Year - Bluegrass Tradition,
Sponsored by the Truro & Area Bluegrass & Oldtime Music Association.
- Gospel Performance of the Year - Bluegrass Tradition,
Sponsored by the Eastern Shore Bluegrass & Oldtime Music Association.
- Most Promising Band of the Year - Eight Wheel Drive,
Sponsored by the Kempt Shore Music Festivals.
- Band of the Year - Shadow River,
Sponsored by the Clare Bluegrass Association.
- Recording of the Year - Shadow River,
Sponsored by The County Bluegrass Festivals.
- Composer of the Year - Karen Decoste,
Sponsored by the Blackville Bluegrass Festival.
- Promoter of the Year - Wayne Dugas,
Sponsored by the Evangeline Bluegrass & Traditional Music Festival.
- Emcee of the Year (tie) - Wayne Dugas & Brian Hazlett,
Sponsored by the East Hants Bluegrass & Oldtime Music Association.
- Radio / TV DJ of the Year - Wayne Dugas – Vive la bluegrass (CIFA 104.1 FM Saulnierville),
Sponsored by the Annapolis Valley Bluegrass Association.
- Participation Award - Annapolis Valley Bluegrass Association
For the highest percentage return of ballots in 2013.
- Fan of the Year - Johnny Richard (West Chezzetcook, NS)
For outstanding support of bluegrass music in 2013
Lifetime Member Awards went to Serge Bernard (Stratford, PEI), Dennis Moore (Lantz, NS) for their unselfish dedication to the preservation of Bluegrass & Oldtime Music and creating an atmosphere of cooperation, friendship and enjoyment.
- 15 Years as a Radio DJ - Serge Bernard (95.1FM CFCY - Bluegrass Island)
- 15 Years as a Radio DJ - Charlie Hansen (95.1FM CFCY - Bluegrass Island)
- 35 Years as a Radio DJ - Wilson Moore (106.9FM CHMA, 107.9FM CFTA, The Bluegrass Jam)