Myrtle Beach, SC -- Ocean Lakes Family Campground, a division of The Jackson Companies, will host its 16th Annual Bluegrass Weekend on Friday, August 22, and Saturday, August 23, 2014. The event is only open to guests staying at the campground. With performances scheduled from some of the top names in Bluegrass music, tickets are selling fast.
Performances will be held in the 17,000 sq. ft. air-conditioned Recreation Center on Friday, from 4 p.m. until 10 p.m., and Saturday from 2 p.m. until 9 p.m. Wristbands are valid for both days and can be purchased in advance. If purchased in advance, tickets are $45 for adults, $20 for children 6-12, and admission is free for children under six. Ticket prices do not include site fee. Starting Friday, August 22, tickets will be $50 for adults. Tickets can be purchased online at http://www.oceanlakes.com or by calling the ticket hotline at 843-828-4856. All event tickets are non-refundable.
It will be a weekend full of fun activities like the Bluegrass Golf Car Poker Run, Bluegrass-themed scavenger hunt, mini-golf tournament, award-winning Bluegrass music, great food and much more.
Campsite reservations can be made by calling 1-800-876-8034 or 1-800-845-2229 for house rental reservations,. When making reservations, let the reservationist know you are coming in for the Bluegrass Weekend. Tickets can be purchased online at http://www.oceanlakes.com or by calling the ticket hotline at 843-828-4833.
Some of the top names in Bluegrass will be performing:
- Russell Moore & IIIrd Time Out (Saturday, August 23)
- Formed in 1991, Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out have been named "Vocal Group of the Year" by the International Bluegrass Music Association (IBMA) seven times and by the Society for the Preservation of Bluegrass Music Association (SPBGMA) six times. With their latest release in 2013, Timeless Hits of the Past...BLUEGRASSED, they have a whole new generation of fans.
- Seldom Scene (Friday, August 22)
- Founded in 1971, this progressive group has taken bluegrass to new heights. This year, their album, Long Time...Seldom Scene, peaked at #3 on Billboard's "Top Bluegrass Albums" chart.
- Grasstowne (Saturday, August 23)
- Grasstowne combines the talents of two very well-respected veterans of Bluegrass music and two of the finest young musicians in Bluegrass today. The band's first three projects made it to the top of the National Bluegrass Charts. The Road Headin’ Home remained at #1 for three months and also won the 2008 “Album of the Year” award. Their newest release Grasstowne 4 came out this year.
- Nothin' Fancy (Saturday, August 23)
- Formed in 1994, Nothin' Fancy has been thrilling audiences with traditional Bluegrass music as well as their acoustic music. They have been honored six times by the Society for the Preservation of Bluegrass Music Association (SPBGMA) as “Entertaining Group of the Year” (2014, 2013, 2012, 2010, 2009, and 2008).
- Kenny & Amanda Smith Band (Friday, August 22)
- Honored by the International Bluegrass Music Association (IBMA) in 2003 as "Emerging Artists of the Year," the Kenny and Amanda Smith Band combine heartfelt vocals with brilliant instrumental talents to offer a contemporary Bluegrass sound.
- Lost & Found (Friday, August 22)
- Formed in 1973, Lost & Found is a strong positive force in contemporary Bluegrass music. Their song Love of the Mountains has become a Bluegrass standard.
- Donna Ulisse & The Poor Mountain Boys (Saturday, August 23)
- Donna Ulisse has been called "one of the best singer-songwriters in bluegrass." Along with the Poor Mountain Boys, their music combines traditional and contemporary Bluegrass, with a mix of gospel and country.
- The Sons Of Bluegrass (Friday, August 22)
- Considered one of the best up and coming Bluegrass bands in the country, this award-winning group provides high quality, high energy entertainment. They were named the "2012 Championship Bluegrass Band" by the State of North Carolina and have been featured in Bluegrass Today several times.
"Every year we try to bring in some of the top Bluegrass groups from around the country and this year is no exception," said Barb Krumm, Director of Marketing and Public Relations at Ocean Lakes Family Campground. "We have eight premier Bluegrass entertainers at Ocean Lakes this year. Along with the entertainment, we plan to have a variety of fun activities for our guests to enjoy, so we encourage purchasing tickets as soon as possible. If you love Bluegrass music, this is the weekend for you."
For more information about Ocean Lakes, visit http://www.oceanlakes.com, follow on Twitter or ”like” the campground on Facebook.